ButtonMad

ButtonMad
Teeny Tiny Bird Buttons

Friday 10 May 2013

Crustless Melktert and some Stitching


This little beauty is the newest addition to my kitchen and its definitely love at first sight. My Kitchenaid is in Yellow Pepper. I ordered in the Pear but was informed that its no longer available in that colour. My heart nearly broke but then I unwrapped this baby and Pear is now but a distant memory (I think this colour looks great with my French grey/green cupboards).

Straight to work to test her out. I decided to make a South African classic.
Melktert or milktart is a traditional Afrikaans dessert. It is a set vanilla, cinnamon custard and is simply sublime.


This version requires only 1 bowl and no base - it bakes itself a lovely crust.

You will need:

3/4 C flour
2 t baking powder
2 C milk (I use full cream but you can use 2%)
2 eggs
1/2 C sugar
1 t vanilla essence
25g butter
pinch of salt
1/2 t cinnamon and some to sprinkle on top


Bails was intrigued by the delicious cinnamon smell filling the house and was looking rather hopeful.

Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
Throw all your ingredients together and mix. 
Pour into a buttered pie dish. 
Sprinkle with cinnamon and pop into oven.
Wait impatiently for 45 minutes.
Serve immediately with a cup of tea or its just as delicious served cold.


Ring me up and invite me over for a healthy sized slice!

While waiting for this to bake, mum was busy knitting away trying out a new technique for her - intarsia.
This is what she came up with:


I was rather impressed with her handiwork and gave her an extra slice of melktert!

3 comments:

  1. That tart sounds delicious - I'm going to save the recipe, thanks! And the intarsia looks perfect! Are you sure your mum has never done it before?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a beauty. Yellow is my favorite color, I can see why you forgot about pear quickly! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything about this post if fabulous! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I won one of these mixers 20+ years ago & it's still going strong - you're going to love it!
    Your mom's knitting is also great, love that button!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting our ButtonMad blog. Although we don't have time to reply to everybody who leaves a comment, we do really appreciate the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...